Join BioBusiness Summer School to jumpstart your career in Life Sciences by gaining knowledge of business aspects such as product development, IPR, finance and business models. The next edition of the summer school will be organised from 24-28 June 2019 in Amsterdam, the Netherlands.
Associate/Junior Scientist Analytical Chemistry
For our client Janssen Vaccines & Prevention we are searching for an Associate/Junior Scientist Analytical Chemistry.
Do you want to be part of a team that works on the discovery and early development of novel vaccines for bacterial infectious diseases? Then we are looking for you!
For three major vaccine projects, we are looking for an Associate/Junior Scientist. You will be expected to perform laboratory work in person and help contract research organisations plan and execute their assignments.
The Bacterial Vaccines department is strengthening its analytical capabilities, which are centered mainly on carbohydrate and glycoprotein antigens. This position has, therefore, a strong focus on mass spectrometric expertise.
Your responsibilities are:
- Analyse carbohydrate-, protein-, or glycoconjugate-based antigens;
- Know, implement and improve established tests for carbohydrates, proteins, glycoconjugates, and particle-based vaccines;
- Support equipment selection, purchase and maintenance for the Mass spectrometry facility;
- Design, lead and perform mass spectrometry-based experiments and analyses related to structure elucidation of large molecules, and more specifically proteins, glycoproteins and/or peptides;
- Execute high-resolution MS experiments and perform basic maintenance and troubleshooting of the instruments;
- Apply state-of–the art analytical chemistry to ensure a targeted approach to problem solving and delivering relevant results. Work in a multidisciplinary team of researchers and show willingness to learn/explore new techniques;
- Act quickly, lead and provide expertise and solutions for advanced characterisation of pharmaceutical products and support investigations;
- Develop test procedures and write scientific and investigations reports;
- Ensure compliance with regulatory requirements, GMP and safety;
- Stay up to date with the scientific literature;
- Initiate and follow up collaboration with external partners and universities;
- Support CROs to plan, execute, document, and review their work.
- Knowledge of analytical literature, with emphasis on carbohydrates and glycopeptides;
- Very good knowledge on bacterial polysaccharides;
- Hands on expertise on structural elucidation of bacterial polysaccharides;
- Experience and knowledge on chemical transformation of bacterial oligosaccharides;
- An expert on maintaining and setting up experiments on mass spectrometers;
- Must have: HPLC (SEC, RP, NP, etc.), mass spectrometry experience;
- Must have: carbohydrate analysis classical methods (hydrolysis, hydrazinolysis, methylation, etc.);
- Knowledge of assay qualification and validation (ICH guidelines);
- Knowledge on mass spectrometric application of small molecules is desirable;
- Nice to have: GC-MS, MS/MS, SEC-MALS of polysaccharides, capillary electrophoresis of conjugates, etc.
The Bacterial Vaccines department has well equipped laboratories, and the possibility to acquire additional equipment and laboratory space. Support departments, such as Vaccine Process & Analytical Development (VPAD) and Quality Control (QC), provide expertise to the Bacterial Vaccines department and its external partners, for the development of their prototype vaccines.
The Advanced Antigen Characterisation team (AACT) team is part of the BacVAc analytical development team and is responsible for:
- Leading analytical investigations for the research grade drug substances and drug products and reference antigens;
- Development and implementation of new and innovative Analytical Technology Platforms.
- Mass spectrometry (MALDI, LC-MALDI, LC-MS & CE-MS);
- NMR spectroscopy;
- Capillary electrophoresis (cGE, cIEF, capillary western blotting);
- Glycan finger printing by Ion chromatography and pulsed amperometry detection;
- Biophysical characterisation of large molecules (Nano DSF, Auto DSC, CD, DLS & SEC-MALS);
- Discovery phase platform formulation development;
- Polysaccharide and excipient analysis;
- Biomolecular interaction techniques (MST, BLI-Octet and SPR).
Publication end date
Jumpstart your career
The BioBusiness Summer School is a programme tailored to bridge the gap. By immersing yourself in the business aspects of Life Sciences during this programme, you will learn the basic knowledge of BioBusiness, gain insight in the world of Life Sciences companies, meet leading business leaders and increase your international network.