Join BioBusiness Summer School to jumpstart your career in Life Sciences by gaining knowledge of business aspects such as product development, IPR, finance and business models. The next edition of the summer school will be announced soon!
5. Senior Scientist Assay Development to support our target discovery and drug discovery teams
As a successful candidate you are responsible for setting up both known and innovative biochemical, cellular biological and biophysical assays, in-house as well as with CROs. You will be responsible for running those assays in high-throughput drug discovery screens as well as follow-up lead identification and optimization programs. In addition, your knowledge and creativity will support the target discovery team in their quest for novel drug targets and their validation.
You have experience in setting up diverse biochemical, cell biological and biophysical assays and in running high-throughput compound screens. You have an outstanding knowledge of basic biological, chemical, and physical processes and excel in creatively translating biological questions into robust assays making use of that knowledge. You take pride in working in a structured way, can manage and organize large amounts of data and you are comfortable with functioning and communicating in multi-disciplinary teams. You still like to be at the bench at times but are not scared by having to run a large fraction of experiments through CROs.
Responsibilities and abilities
• Responsible for setting up and executing HTS campaigns and analyzing the results as well as proposing next steps, in collaboration with the medicinal chemistry experts;
• Supporting hit-to-lead and lead optimization programs with DMPK assays;
• Contribute to the target discovery efforts by developing innovative and creative assays for target identification and validation;
• Generate regular reports on project progress and timelines;
• Generate figures, slide decks and reports for internal and external use.
Qualifications and experience
• PhD in a relevant field with 3+ additional years of research experience in a research environment;
• Excellent and broad knowledge of biological, chemical, and physical principles;
• Broad experience and proven creativity in assay development and HTS campaigns;
• Proven track record of success (for example as illustrated by a strong publication or patent record or a significant contribution to (pre)clinical success);
• Experience with the outsourcing of research activities is an advantage;
• Experience with DMPK activities and the hit to lead and lead optimization phases of drug discovery is an advantage.
• Considerable tenacity, energy and drive, self-motivated and capable of setting your own targets;
• Excellent analytical and data management skills combined with a creative problem-solving mindset;
• Attention for detail and high experimental and scientific standards;
• Broad interest and flexibility to work on diverse topics relevant to human disease;
• Affinity to work in a high paced start-up, which means being flexible, being able to deal with uncertainty and changes of direction and work and thrive in a highly dynamic environment;
• Team player with excellent interpersonal and communication skills with great command of English, written and spoken, Dutch not required.
• Employment for 32-40 hours/week;
• A stimulating environment with the opportunity to be part of an enthusiastic team that together is building the company from the ground up;
• Attention for personal development;
• The possibility to contribute to the development of novel therapeutic products for patients;
• A competitive remuneration package, including sharing in the success of the company.
At Scenic, we are pioneering the field of genetic modifiers for rare genetic diseases. Using our revolutionary target discovery platform, we can systematically identify genes that suppress the detrimental consequences of a disease-causing process, unlocking new biology on a daily basis. With our diverse and international team (~20), we created a fast-paced, multi-disciplinary environment, where we work together to investigate these genes as potential drug targets and translate this into the development of innovative and new drugs. The lead program for the development of a small molecule in the immuno-oncology space is the result of this approach and additional exciting programs in other indications are in progress.
We are passionate to make a difference and are currently recruiting highly motivated talents with various backgrounds to be part of our innovative journey towards the identification of drug targets and development of new therapies for patients suffering from diseases with an urgent medical need. Scenic Biotech is located in Amsterdam, one of the most vibrant European cities and is consistently ranked among the worlds’ cities with the highest quality of life.
If this vacancy is the perfect next step in your career, please send your resume and cover letter before October 3rd, 2020 to firstname.lastname@example.org attn. Hannah Wensink (Recruiter). Please mention the number of this vacancy (no.5) in your application.
Applications without cover letter will not be processed.
Publication end date
Jumpstart your career
The BioBusiness Summer School is a programme tailored to bridge the gap. By immersing yourself in the business aspects of Life Sciences during this programme, you will learn the basic knowledge of BioBusiness, gain insight in the world of Life Sciences companies, meet leading business leaders and increase your international network.