Join BioBusiness Summer School to jumpstart your career in Life Sciences by gaining knowledge of business aspects such as product development, IPR, finance and business models. The next edition of the summer school will be announced soon!
3. Senior Scientist to drive target discovery and validation efforts
Scenic is looking for a scientist who can spearhead the discovery of novel modifiers for rare diseases, followed by the in vitro and in vivo validation/characterization of the identified modifier genes. You are responsible for the conception, design and the day-to-day execution of these projects. You are able to set and plan according to timelines and to achieve milestones and predetermined deliverables. You will spend most time planning, executing, analyzing and reporting on experiments.
Responsibilities and abilities
• Independently plan and execute a defined research project;
• Generate scientific data through performing wet-lab experiments and leveraging Contract Research Organizations (CROs);
• Maintain contact with CROs and monitor and manage their work;
• Function as the internal subject matter expert on the disease/research area(s) that you are working on, pro-actively seeking, collating and archiving relevant information;
• Generate regular reports on project progress and regularly present at internal science meetings;
• Develop and evaluate novel disease models and/or assays for target validation;
• You are able to:
– Process literature efficiently to rapidly gain expertise in relevant disease-related processes;
– Iterate through hypotheses generation on biological mechanisms, experimental design to (dis)-prove these and analyze results in larger biological context;
Qualifications and experience
• PhD in life science field, such as medical biology, biology or a similar field and 3+ additional years of research experience in a biomedical research environment;
• Experience with in vitro and in vivo models, preferably in the rare or metabolic diseases field;
• Broad understanding of cellular disease mechanisms;
• Advanced knowledge and research expertise in lysosomal, mitochondrial, or other metabolic disorders is an advantage;
• Proven record of scientific creativity, the ability to come up with new ideas and look beyond the limitation of whatever field previously worked in;
• Experience in biotech/pharma is an advantage;
• Experience with the management of collaborations or outsourcing of research activities;
• Strong academic track record exemplified by high-impact publications in a relevant field.
• Considerable tenacity, energy and drive, self-motivated and capable of setting your own targets;
• Team player with excellent interpersonal and communication skills with great command of English, both written and spoken. Dutch not required;
• Attention for detail and high experimental and scientific standards;
• Excellent time management skills;
• Ability to develop a clear work plan;
• Affinity to work in a high paced start-up, which means being flexible, being able to deal with uncertainty and changes of direction and work and thrive in a highly dynamic environment.
• Employment for 32-40 hours/week;
• A stimulating environment with the opportunity to be part of an enthusiastic team that together is building the company from the ground up;
• The possibility to contribute to the development of novel therapeutic products for patients;
• Attention for personal development;
• A competitive remuneration package, including sharing in the success of the company, and attention for personal development.
At Scenic, we are pioneering the field of genetic modifiers for rare genetic diseases. Using our revolutionary target discovery platform, we can systematically identify genes that suppress the detrimental consequences of a disease-causing process, unlocking new biology on a daily basis. With our diverse and international team (~20), we created a fast-paced, multi-disciplinary environment, where we work together to investigate these genes as potential drug targets and translate this into the development of innovative and new drugs. The lead program for the development of a small molecule in the immuno-oncology space is the result of this approach and additional exciting programs in other indications are in progress.
We are passionate to make a difference and are currently recruiting highly motivated talents with various backgrounds to be part of our innovative journey towards the identification of drug targets and development of new therapies for patients suffering from diseases with an urgent medical need. Scenic Biotech is located in Amsterdam, one of the most vibrant European cities and is consistently ranked among the worlds’ cities with the highest quality of life.
If this vacancy is the perfect next step in your career, please send your resume and cover letter before October 10th, 2020 to email@example.com attn. Hannah Wensink (Recruiter). Please mention the number of this vacancy (no.3) in your application.
Applications without cover letter will not be processed.
Publication end date
Jumpstart your career
The BioBusiness Summer School is a programme tailored to bridge the gap. By immersing yourself in the business aspects of Life Sciences during this programme, you will learn the basic knowledge of BioBusiness, gain insight in the world of Life Sciences companies, meet leading business leaders and increase your international network.